I have a series of community helper lesson plans called “My Friend, the…” They all focus on a different occupation. This week we did the firefighter!
- Curious George and the Firefighters by Margaret & H.A. Rey (George just wants to help the firefighters, but fires are no place for a monkey! So, he finds another way to help!)
- Dot the Fire Dog by Lisa Desimini (This story follows a very helpful dalmation as she serves her community alongside her human counterparts.)
- If I Were a Firefighter by Thomas Kingsley Troupe (I also used this series during Cowboy week. It is a really neat series which helps kids find out more information concerning different jobs in the community.)
- Fire Engine Man by Andrea Zimmerman & David Clemesha (Very cute and relatable book for kids! A little boy is using his imagination to pretend he is a firefighter.)
- Firefighters to the Rescue! By Kersten Hamilton (Shows how a typical shift for a firefighter works, along with the dangers and challenges they face on the job.)
Firefighter Hats: Well, this craft is super simple because I bought the templates off of Oriental Trading. They are $3.99 for a set of 12. The kids colored them and parents fit them to size. Also, I gave the kids a safety handout from the fire department. This was my week off from prepping for crafts! 🙂