Storytime Theme: Creepy, Crawly Bugs!
It’s October in Tennessee! This buggy storytime is a great start to the fall season. I have also incorporated a bug sensory table in the children’s area for further exploration! They do enjoy sorting and exploring the types of bugs, leaves and rocks!
- Spider on the Floor by Raffi (A song to read by Raffi, this book is very cute and funny! Kids loved it!)
- When the Fly Flew In by Lisa Westberg Peters (The fly causes mayhem!)
- The Very Stubborn Centipede by Susan Snyder (Kids think this book is so funny! Plus, it gives you a good opportunity to talk about how many legs a centipede and millipede have.)
- The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle (This classic lets us watch a web as it is built)
- Old Black Fly by Jim Aylesworth (Rhyming and alphabet practice are the name of the game in this fun song to read!)
Bug Jars: I searched the internet to find mason jar printables for this craft. I added the words “My Bug Collection” to the top and printed them off on colored paper to make it more attractive. I went to the local teacher supply store and bought realistic bug stickers for the kids to “catch” in their jars.
An alternative on this craft is using stamp pads to make fingerprint bugs! Just add eyes, legs, etc and you have your own bugs!
This lesson plan is free and you have my permission to use it all you want. I just ask that you give me a little love by crediting me on any blog or social media post. Thank you!